The function of the exhaust hood system is to pull out all the grease, dust and grime from the air and trap them in either an air filter or expel them outside through ductwork.
While stainless steel hood filters are excellent at catching these airborne particles, after a few weeks they will require cleaning. If the air filters get too clogged up:
- They stop the exhaust filter doing its job
- Damage can occur to the whole system because it’s having to work harder due to the blocked air filter.
The steps to cleaning the air filter of your exhaust system are pretty simple and should be undertaken every few weeks.
- Remove the air filter entirely from your exhaust hood system and check it for any damage. If you do find damage, you may need to replace the air filter.
- Fill up the kitchen sink, or any large receptacle that is suitable, with hot water.
- Use a chemical-free cleaning solution such as ½ cup of baking soda mixed with dish soap to create a paste. If you need to create more solution, you can just double up the quantities.
- Add the paste to the hot water and mix together, then drop the filters in. Submerge the filters in the solution for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After the 10 – 15-minute soaking time, take the hood filter out of the solution and scrub it thoroughly using a non-abrasive cleaning brush. This should remove the excess build up, but if needed, you can re-soak and re-scrub the filter.
- Once you’re satisfied with the cleaning job, you need to remove the remaining cleaning solution by rinsing with water.
- Once the filters are clean and dry, you can place them back into the exhaust hood system.
If you make cleaning your kitchen hood exhaust filters a regular job, they should remain easy to clean. However, once the grease and dirt build up, it may move past the stage of cleaning, and you’ll need to replace the filters. A good gap between cleanings is around 6 – 8 weeks. This interval includes your own scheduled cleanings and any you have that are handled by a professional hood cleaning service.
Brazas Fire offer an excellent range of exhaust hood systems, and kitchen hood cleaning services and if you have any questions or need some advice, we’re only too happy to help. Feel free to contact our knowledgeable and experienced experts at 505-889-8999 or visit our website for a friendly live chat.