If one of your plans for 2022 is to open a restaurant, it’s important that you ensure you have adequate fire protection for your premises.
Once you open your doors, fire safety measures are vital to keeping your customers, employees, and property safe from fire.
The National Fire Protection Association requirement codes need to be implemented to avoid delays in opening your business.
What Fire Protection Equipment Will You Need?
Here are the minimum requirements:
Kitchen Fire Suppression System
The kitchen fire suppression system’s job is to detect and suppress fires before it’s too late. The standards that apply are NFPA 17A and NFPA 96 standards.
Because hot cooking oil can often be an ignition source, restaurant fires are unique and will require a Class K fire extinguisher. Ensure these are readily available so kitchen staff can act quickly and avoid property damage and the possibility of injury or lost life.
Throughout the rest of the restaurant, ensure there are sufficient ABC extinguishers according to NFPA 10 standards.
Fire Alarm System
While sirens, pull stations and strobe lights don’t help toward extinguishing fires, they’re important for alerting employees and customers to take necessary action, such as evacuating the restaurant. The standards here are NFPA 70 and NFPA 72.
Fire Sprinkler System
NFPA 13 standards are applicable here and restaurants are required to meet these standards regarding the installation of fire sprinklers. If, for example, your restaurant hosts more than 300 guests, you are required to install fire sprinklers.
Other fire safety and protection regulations differ based on your State.
What about Preventative Measures?
While dealing with a fire has its own set of procedures, there are preventative measures you can put in place to ensure success.
- Using fire safety guidelines in your daily practices.
- Install a kitchen fire suppression system.
- Ensure kitchen fire suppression inspections are scheduled at least semi-annually.
- Training on the proper use of equipment is vital as there’s no point having top-notch equipment if nobody knows how to use it. Most importantly is the ability for them to recognize the type of fire extinguisher that is needed for the type of fire they face. They also need training on how to use a fire extinguisher effectively.
- Maintenance and inspection of fire sprinkler systems is also required. Once again, if the equipment is not working effectively, there’s no point having it.
- Your alarm system requires monthly monitoring and an annual inspection.
Want to Learn More About Fire Protection Equipment?
Our aim is for you to have the best information possible about fire protection systems. Give us a call so that we can help ensure your safety by providing you with an estimate for installing a fire protection system in your new place.
You can contact us at (505) 889-8999 or fill out our online form to have a representative reach you within 24 hours.
We are your single source experts in Albuquerque and all of New Mexico for all your fire protection needs from design and installation to ongoing maintenance as well as fire alarm testing. We are your experienced and expert fire protection team with your safety and best interests at heart!